Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Storytelling: Week 9: The North Wind


There’s nothing better than the cold, icy wind of winter.  Those icicles everywhere around you and the beautiful color of white fills the Earth.  I am the reason why the earth is so amazingly filled with snow throughout every sun and moon.  There are very few in my land so that makes my job of ruling the land even easier!  I’m not much of a people person.  You see, my brother is the ruler of the summer with all the colors, and plants, and animals, and blah, blah, blah.  I’m so tired of everyone talking about how much they love the summer.  Growing up, no one wanted to talk to me because everyone thought I was cold.  It was my brother that had all the attention and friends.  I never thought it was fair as a child, but there was nothing I could do about it.  I don't want to be the ruler of summer. That weather makes me cringe and there's always way too much going on, too much to handle.  So now, I choose to live alone by myself and I’m loving every minute of it.

After many years of enjoying my life alone and isolated, a fisherman entered my land and overstayed his welcome.  I do not like visitors, and I like to keep the icy land to only me and the fishes under the ice-covered oceans.  This fisherman not only stayed on my icy land for far too long even after I covered him in heavy snow and ice, but he also cut holes in my icy-covered waters to catch my fish. No one comes to my land and messes up my perfectly smooth oceans.  No one comes and steals all my fish either. 

I had to do something to get him out of here, but I have never had anyone try to withstand my powerful and brutally frigid winds.  So I began to make the snow even deeper and deeper and the wind stronger and stronger.  Surely he would leave after his whole body was covered in frost bite. 

I woke up the next day and the fisherman was still there in his tent with a giant fire to keep him warm.  This was a tougher challenge.  So I spent that whole day blowing giant gusts of freezing winds towards him.  Maybe I could blow out the fire that kept him warm? Those fires always scare me anyways.  Maybe I could blow away his tent so he won't have a place to keep him safe? I didn’t care what I have to do. I just wanted him off my land. 

The next sun when the fisherman was still standing firm on my land, we began to fight.  His fire was making me melt and warm up.  I like to stay cold and that is when I am the most powerful.  I couldn’t let him beat me on my own turf.  Pretty soon, I could not fight any longer.  I had to surrender because I had no other choice.  My weak breath could not fight for one second longer.  I watched him stay there and fish on my land while I lay there on my ice and couldn’t do anything about it.

This was the day I was finally overtaken.



Author's Note:
 This is from the original American Indian Fairy Tale, Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind. I really enjoyed all the stories from this unit because I felt like each story was so creative. This is what they believed actually happened and how the seasons were created.   I took this story and portrayed it from the point of view of the North Wind.  The North Wind was the bad guy in the original story because he was doing everything he could to keep the tribe off his land in the winter, but all they wanted to do was fish for food so they would not be hungry.  It wasn't until one day that a fisherman stood up to the North Wind and finally overtook him.  His whole tribe told him not to do it because no one had successfully defeat the North Wind, but he was determined and nothing could stop him.  I kept the general story the same but changed the point of view from the fisherman to the North Wind.  I took out a few parts to really focus on the scenes that I felt were the most entertaining and imperative.  I tried to keep the Native American appeal by putting the focus on the land and the wind rather than something that was not earth-related.  As I read this story, I kept picturing the abominable snowman so I chose an image to portray how I pictured the story.


Bibliography:
"Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind" by W.T. Larned. American Indian Fairy Tales Unit.

6 comments:

  1. This was a great story. I enjoyed the fact that you changed he point of view to that of the North Wind. It made the story more comical at times and allowed the true personality of the North Wind to show through. You're intro paragraph was my favorite. You did a great job of building the background and showing how cold the North Wind really is. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading your story. It was cool that you put in first person. It added a real personal touch to the story telling. It can definitely change the way the story is told by just telling it in a different perspective. You still added the Native American tone to the story by keeping it very earthy by using the elements. You did a great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyse, the blurb in your portfolio index made me really interested in reading this story. I was definitely curious to see what would happen. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed reading your storytelling! I think that it was very well put together. The very beginning grabbed my attention and the descriptive words helped to bring your story to life even more. I like how you associated the summer and winter with the personalities of the main character and his brother. I feel like that was a really nice touch. The contrast helped to set the tone for the story. It was an interesting turn of events when the fisherman came into the story. I think that it was cool how the main character talked about how he hated the summer and the weather that comes with it and then the hot fire that the fisherman came with is the very thing that took him down. Your portfolio looks very well organized and so does your writing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you kept the title of the story similar because I will admit that was part of what drew me in. It sounded really cool. You did a great job creating a character out of the Winter character. You played into the cold, isolated personality and really developed a character. One that your audience could really relate to through the comparison of a sibling and the issues associated with that. Also a character who uses phrases like blah blah blah when not really wanting to touch any further on a particular subject matter. I really like the perspective you took on this by embellishing on a somewhat minor character. For a time I felt bad for the ruler of winter, all he wanted was to be left alone and here comes this guy who just tries to melt him. You did an awesome job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man this story is kind of sad! I do have to agree with your author's note though that this story allows you to be extremely creative. I do not think this story would have been able to be created otherwise.

    First, I really liked the story! Literally the only thing I would add is some more action. What I mean is, make all of the complications the happen occur with rising jeopardy. So, add more complications!

    Also, in order to get people to root for your hero even more, make the fisherman a worse antagonist. You could make him the opposite of an environmentalist and have no respect for the outdoors. He could litter, hurt an animal without good reason, etc.

    Lastly, I would suggest having the image at the top. It is fine either way, but just offering another way. By the time I get to the end, seeing an image feels like its a lost piece of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alyse,
    your story was really...cool haha get it ok fine that was a bad joke. but i really did like your story. I always like stories where we get to see something from a new point of view.I really like how you were able to bring the wind to life and at the end of the story i actually felt bad for him. the wind tried so had to get that guy to leave but he just would not budge. I think it was neat that you were able to keep the same native american feel to the story by keeping the earth as one of the main charters. you also did a really good job describing the wind and giving him a strong back story. over all you did a very good job keep up the good work and i look forward to reading more of your work

    ReplyDelete