Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Week 12 Storytelling: Alice Wanting To Go Back to Wonderland


Storytelling: Alice in Wonderland

A couple nights ago, the craziest thing happened to me.  I woke up in a frantic sweat from a dream I had about falling down a very deep well and my adventures with a weird rabbit that worried about time too much, a mad hatter who a big giant hat, and so many more crazy people that I have never seen before in my life.

I would have thought it was all just a crazy dream from eating pizza too close to bedtime, but when I woke up with a little bottle from my dream in my pocket, I started to wonder. 

“Could this have been real?” I thought to myself as I looked at the bottle and the little bit of icing on my face from the cake I ate in my dream, too.  This was all way too much of a coincidence to have only been a dream.

I woke up, looked at my clock, and realized I was very late for school.

“I’m late, I’m so late!” I kept saying over and over to myself.  I paused for a second and knew that I had heard that before.  A light bulb turned on inside my head and flashbacks from the white-haired, red-eyed rabbit from my dream raced through my head. 

“It’s all just a dream, it’s all just a dream,” I had to keep reminding myself throughout the day.  I tried to tell my friends about it, but they all just laughed in my face and teased me about it.

“You’re crazy, Alice!” Mariah yelled to my face during my first class.

When I tried telling Becca, she said I should be put in a crazy house because something like that could never happen.  I thought for sure they might believe me at least a little bit.  At that point in the day I knew I was right about all the events that happened that night.  Too many signs reflected what happened that night that it had to have happened. 

Every night since then I have tried to look down the same special well and do everything the same as the night I fell down that deep well and found myself surrounded by bookcases, lamps, and cup-boards.  I didn’t understand why it wouldn’t happen again.  Nothing seemed to make sense anymore.  Nothing lined up to what happened that night. 

It wasn’t until this morning as I was getting on my bike to ride to school that I found something shiny on the ground.  I picked up the object and I knew I had seen this before.  It was a watch, but not a normal watch.  It said the day of the month instead of the time. 

“It’s the rabbit’s watch!” I yelled out so loud that people a mile away could hear me.  This was just what I needed to get back to the Wonderland that I was in before.  It seemed crazy but I wanted to go back.  I needed a land away form earth for a while.  As I picked up the watch, I turned it around and it read, “You’re late, you’re late! Please come back at this date!”

I turned the watch around again and November 15th was circled in what looked like the strangely colored butter from the tea party I attended.  Why, November 15th is only a few days away! I couldn’t wait to go back and see what other shenanigans I could get myself into and other weird and crazy friends that I could meet.

 Bibliography:  Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll.  Alice in Wonderland Unit.


Author’s Note:


This story originated from the famous story of Alice in Wonderland that many people are fairly familiar with.  After reading the stories in the unit, I thought to myself about how her friends probably felt when she told all of them about her experience.  I decided to write a story about the situations she probably got herself into after the dream and the aftermath of the experience.  It was important to me while I was writing this story that I added many clues to portray that the story was real.  I was already familiar with the story, so I combined all of it and took my favorite parts out of the story to write about in my post.  I added the part about her finding the watch that belonged to the rabbit with the date on it to venture into the idea of possibly writing a second story to follow this one about her adventures back into Wonderland.  Maybe next time, she can bring someone else with her so they don’t all look at her crazy.
 

4 comments:

  1. I loved your story! I think writing about the aftermath of Alice’s Adventures was a really creative idea. I loved the comment about eating pizza too close to bedtime—I think we’ve all been there. I also liked how you alluded to her adventure being real! I did read the original story, so it wasn’t as necessary for me, but an author’s note might have been helpful.
    There were only a couple of grammatical things I would change. For instance, I think you meant “have” instead of have in the last sentence of that first paragraph, and “from” instead of “form” in the second. Other than that, it looked good! Really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great story! Alice in Wonderland is such a classic and I enjoyed reading about Alice actually wanting to go back. Who doesn't need a land away from earth sometimes?
    I only saw a few things to change! At the end of your first paragraph, you wrote "has" instead of had. Also, in the second paragraph it says form instead of from.
    Overall, terrific job! I really enjoy reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the approach you took on this! I would have never thought to write about the after math of Alice's adventures in Wonderland! I am so glad that someone else wrote about Alice in Wonderland! It is one of my favorite stories! It is so crazy and out there and it reminds me of my childhood. I really like how you made Alice so desperate to get back! I would have liked to read your author's note on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyse!
    I really liked the modern spin that you put on your story! I love it when people take the classic stories and fit it to the time that we are in right now and you definitely succeeded doing that! I though that your story had a lot of voice in it and really gave personalities to the characters. I wish I would have seen an authors note though but that can be easily put in there later. Good work!

    ReplyDelete