Thursday, November 5, 2015

Week 11: Storytelling: The Truthful Bird

The Truthful Bird

It was a dark and chilly night in the season of autumn that I sat alone on the end of a branch in the middle of the forest.  This was not the first time that I sit by myself, all alone, with nothing to do except ponder how life in the city would be.   I have always dreamed about flying over all the bright lights and different colors that fill the sky each day and night.  

I image that there is so much to do in the city and so many friends to make.  Although I have my thoughts and dreams, I know they will never come true to a silly, clumsy, little bird like me.  So I just sit here, day in and day out.  I watch the sun rise and set above the trees like a worm coming out of the dirt and going back in.  

I would do anything to see more birds that I can become friends with, but this far into the forest, all I see are scary animals with bright yellow eyes and plants that I cannot name.  You see, I am not just any bird.  In fact, I have the power to make people truthful.  One might think this is a blessing, but this gift has done the exact opposite for me and that is what landed me in the middle of a dark, scary, and lonely forest.  

Only a year ago, my owner tried to use me in his village in law cases involving crimes.  I can sing my song and magically, the people would have no other option than to tell the truth.  I guess I felt good about helping out the village and locking away the guilty in jail, but after I displayed my gifts, I returned back to my small little box that my master kept in a drawer so no one could steal me.  There was one case in particular that the guilty human fought and fought against my powers until finally, after days and days of arguing, he broke down and confessed the truth.  Since then, he was set out to find me, steal me, and then exile me to a place that could never be found. 

To my dismay, the man paid a little homeless boy to steal me from my owner so he could put me in a place far, far away from the village.  Thoughts were running through my head about my life being over.  I thought he was going to chop me up and make some bird stew.  

When I was taken out of the bag, I opened my eyes to the beautiful lights and sights of London!  I remember thinking that this was all a dream or that I had died and gone to Heaven.  It turns out, the little homeless boy knew what powers I had from peeking through the windows of the courthouse and he knew that they couldn’t go to waste.  He sold me to the King of England and from then on, my life was wonderful.  

I now hang high in the entrance of the castle where I can make many friends.  I sleep on a big red pillow made out of the softest silk.  The castle cooks even make me the best worms I’ve ever had in my life.  I help out with everything I can in the castle and make the country a better place by keeping people true to their word.


Author's Note:
I wrote my story from the Natural History Nursery Rhymes from Britain. The original poem went like this...

"THE winds they did blow;
The leaves they did wag;
Along came a beggar boy,
And put me in his bag.

He took me up to London;
A lady did me buy,
Put me in a silver cage,
And hung me up on high,

With apples by the fire,
And nuts for to crack,
Besides a little feather bed
To rest my little back."

I added a lot to this poem and make it into a story about a magical bird that was trapped in a forest.  I still kept the beggar and being hung up high somewhere in London.  This story did not have much detail to what the "thing" that was hung up in a silver cage so I let my imagination run wild and created a story about a little bird.   


3 comments:

  1. You let that imagination fly free gurl haha. Good job. You made something dull and kind of sad to many viewers, like being stuck in a cage, not so dull. Trapping and caging animals is like prison in the minds of most, but you made your bird have a better life and made the cage a blessing so that is a unique and different way to think about it. It made me think of a phoenix from Harry Potter. Maybe just cause it was a bird and the london red double decker bus scene from the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! I love that we can take short boring stories and create something completely knew out of it! Your writing was very easy to read and I like that you split up your paragraphs. I would like to see a little more dialogue, but other than that it was a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, wonderful story! I like that you told the story from the perspective of a bird. It's so neat that such a short poem can inspire a story such as yours. The cage is happiness for the bird, which is so cool because normally it would be a trap. Overall, great job and I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete