Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Storytelling Week 6: How The Ugly Man Got Married


How The Ugly Man Got Married (based off the original How Gazelle Got Married)

There once was a man named Robert. He wasn’t the most handsome in the village, but in fact, he was the ugliest in the village.  Growing up, his "desire to be perfect" parents always thought he was going to change from being ugly to handsome. 

“Pretty soon, he will grow out of his baby fat.” 
“Pretty soon, he will grow into his nose.”
“Pretty soon, his pimples will go away, and he will have the clearest skin.”
“Pretty soon, he will gain some muscle and won’t be as lanky.”
“Pretty soon, he will learn to have the wits that will swoop any woman off her feet,” exclaimed Mama all throughout Robert’s life. 

Although she loved her son very very much, she always hoped that he would become the handsome man who would give her perfect and beautiful grandchildren to spoil rotten.  One day, she found the perfect opportunity for Robert to get two beautiful wives!

The king of the village was a very powerful and noble man that everyone looked up to, and he had two twin daughters that he kept a secret to the outside world.  He kept them so much of a secret that nobody even knew their names.  So one day, the king realized that they would have to meet someone and marry a man some day. 

“Any man that can find out the names of my two daughters can have their hands in marriage,” proclaimed the king to the whole village. 

When Robert heard the message from the king, he knew this was his opportunity to find not only one beautiful wife, but two beautiful wives! All he had to do was figure out the names of the king’s daughters.  Robert and his dog ventured off to the castle in the middle of the village to talk to the king about the challenge to win over his daughters. 

When Robert arrived at the castle, he talked to the king to try and guess their names.

“Ashley and Rachel? Alyssa and Brooke? Carly and Mariah? Rebecca and Raquel?” guessed Robert. 

The king quickly stopped him and told him that none of those are the right answers, and he would be there for years if he kept up with that jibber jabber.

As the king released him to take a walk around the castle, his dog stayed inside.  This was no ordinary dog.  Robert’s dog could talk just like humans but only spoke when Robert spoke to him.  So once Robert left and the dog stayed inside, the King called his daughters by name down to the dining room for dinner.  

“Laurie, Landry, come down for dinner and feed the dog in the entry room, too!” yelled the king to his daughters.

The dog all of a sudden perked his ears up and knew he had to tell Robert the names of the King’s daughters.  The girls fed the dog, and he ran away to find Robert.  On his way to tell his master, the dog became very thirsty from the food and searched for water instead.  Once he found Robert, the dog had already forgotten the names of the two daughters.  The dog returned to the castle to try to find out the names of the daughters once again.

As the dog ran back inside the castle, the family was just finishing up dinner and the king, again, yelled the names of his daughters.  

“Laurie, Landry, don’t forget about the Grand Ball tomorrow night, and give more food and water to the dog,” the king yelled loudly.

The dog’s ears perked up again.  So again, the dog ate and drank the water they gave him, and he set out again to find his master. 

Once the dog found Robert, the dog immediately told Robert the names of the daughters, and they both raced back to the castle.  Robert told the king the names of his daughters.  Although the king was baffled and did not understand how Robert had figured out his daughter's names, the king did make a deal that he had to uphold.  The king granted Robert the right to marry his two daughters.  Although it took some getting used to from the two girls and Robert, they all lived happily ever after.



Author’s Note:
This story is based off of the original story of How Gazelle Got Married in the Stories from Congo unit.  I kept the basic underlying story about how the daughters were up for marriage and whoever could guess their names could have their hand in marriage, but I added a beginning to the story and changed the characters.  The dog helped in the original story, too, but kept forgetting the names of the daughters just like in my story.  I changed the main character to a man to make the story a little bit easier to understand and added some character development of the man to know his background.  The main character is easy to sympathize with because he acts as the underdog in the situation.  No one would have expected this not-so-popular man to marry, not only one of the King's daughters but both of them! I really enjoyed this story and I loved the part about the dog helping out but forgetting the names so many times. So I kept most of that in my retold story.  Although this story would never happen in real life, I feel like I made it more relatable and a little more comical than the original story.

Bibliography:

"How Gazelle Got Married" by Richard Edward Dennett (1898).  Notes on the Folklore of Fjort.

9 comments:

  1. Great storytelling! The thing I like most about this class is that we can take a story and completely turn it into something of our own! The way you wrote your story really captured my attention and made me want to keep reading! Great job on that! Overall nice job and I look forward to reading more of your stories this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyse,

    I really enjoyed this story!
    It was so sad that the mother kept hoping for her son to be handsome instead of finding the handsome things about him.
    The way you told the story really drew me in and kept me interested the entire time.
    Your choice of pictures was also great-it captures the essence of your story.

    I appreciate your author's note! It made everything make sense and pulled it all together in relation to the original story.

    Overall, wonderful job! I can't wait to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alyse!!

    I feel like you made this story your own. It was just so fresh and original to read. The author’s note really made it all come together. I did feel like it was a little rushed at the end, but I really really liked the beginning. If you make any edits, I would maybe include Robert’s parents’ reaction to him coming home with both of the King’s daughters as his brides. You touched on so much in the beginning that all they cared about was him eventually growing into his looks and getting married. So I would have loved to have seen his parents finding out that he would not only have one bride who is a princess but two! Your font was very easy to read and you spaced out your story into easy to read paragraphs. Great job on this story and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Alyse! The title of your story immediately drew my attention! I think that you did a great job of adapting the story into your own version. I've never read the original story, but I'm sure that your's is much more interesting. I think you did a great job by giving the man a backstory. It gave him great motivation for his actions and it made him more relatable to readers. I was happy with the ending of the story, and I'd be interested to see how having two wives works out for this guy. If I was to suggest something it would be to give some background on the dog too. How did he get the dog? Why was the dog loyal to him? I also think a little more information about the sisters would be interesting too, such as how they feel about getting married. Overall, I think you did a good job and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story was really fun to read. I like that fact that you changed the character to an ugly man instead of a gazelle. It added a lot more to the story and made it more relatable. I also completely agree with the authors note in that you were able to make the story more relatable. Even though it would never happen in real life cause dogs can't talk, I do feel that you allowed the reader to relate more easily to this story than one about a gazelle. I think you did a great job of introducing the story and making a great build up for the conclusion, but I feel like the ending was a little rushed. I would have loved to have heard the reactions from other people such as his parents or friends. Or maybe even heard a little more from the girls and how they felt about the situation. The picture was a nice touch and rounded out the overall aspect of the story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alyse,

    This story made me laugh a bit! You did a really awesome job of making it a fun and easy read. I, like others who have commented before me, like that you made the main character of the story a man rather than a gazelle. I loved that the dong only talked to Robert. It kind of goes with the theme as the dog is man's best friend. He helped Robert out. Your Author's not was really helpful. I have not read the original story, so explaining what happened in the original story and then explaining what you had changed made it easier to understand why you wrote it the way you did. Your picture made me laugh too. I like where your portfolio is going and I think you're doing a wonderful job on it. I look forward to reading more of your stories, especially if they are as funny as this one. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alyse!

    I loved this story when I read it. (The original anyway) So I am so glad you chose to do it as a one of your portfolio stories. The one thing that bothered me about the original is that it was a gazelle with a pet dog.I actually had forgotten that until I got to the end of the story. I am sooooo glad you changed him into a man! I think it makes more sense that way! I am also glad that you cut down on the forgetfulness. In the original story all that forgetting stressed me out. I really like that you took Robert and turned this into a true underdog story! But hey! His Mama always knew he would be successful one day and she was right! You did a fantastic retelling of this story. I wish it was longer! (I know we have to practice short and sweet writing so that is not a problem I just really liked this story!) I almost wish you included an arch nemesis or someone trying to beat him to marrying them. That would create a whole other dimension to this story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Alyse!

    I decided to come back to your portfolio because I remember enjoying your storytelling before. This story in particular caught my eye because I think I read the same story in the Congo unit and I loved it. I read your Author's note first, just to read what you had changed and stuff. I like how you kind of put it in today's society and made it with humans. I also liked how you added the dog. I think you do need some more purpose behind the dog forgetting the girls names, however. I think that explanation was just a little empty and that part of the story seemed unnecessary. I think if you are going to keep that part you need to give more of a reason why the dog has to go back and learn the daughters' names again!

    I think you chose really interesting names for the story. I thought the alliteration used for the sister's names was a really good idea. I guess I picture them being twins when their names start with the same letter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alyse,
    I really enjoyed your story this week. You did a good job in the beginning of the story explaining how ugly Robert was. You also did a good job of explaining what his parents expected of him. I also think its fun that you added how the dog could talk. It adds a little magic sense to your story. I haven’t read the original story, but it sounds like changing the character to a man makes more sense. I really liked the elements of the original story you chose to keep. I also really enjoy the parts you added. I also like how the underdog wins in the end and Robert wins the daughters. Your story was interesting, made sense and was easy to read. I really enjoyed your version of this story. I think you added some great details to the story that helped the reader understand and picture what was going on.

    ReplyDelete